Student Attendance (K4-12)
Students can complete their work during any time of the day or week. Attendance will continue to be recorded in the following ways:
- If a student makes progress towards completing their weekly course work, students will be marked present.
- If a student fails to make progress towards their weekly course work, students will be marked absent.
- Please submit work weekly to show assignment completion (emails, pictures, videos, marking assignments “done” or clicking “submit”). Students can also submit/communicate within Google Classroom, Canvas, ClassDojo, ClassWork, Remind, etc.
Contact the teacher if you/or your child is struggling to complete the required weekly course work within the allotted time or visit our webpage Parent Center for further directions to submit assignments.
Rocket Online Campus Students (ROC) will continue as ussual. Attendance will be recorded through daily logins in Canvas. Daily usual will be logged through daily homeroom for VLN students.
Quarter 4 Grading
This grading system is intended to maintain accountability for active student participation, learning effort, and continued growth. We hope this plan is helpful for ALL students moving forward. We want to honor every child’s effort and work put forth in the first 3 quarters (Q1, Q2 & Q3). We realize that moving from face-to-face learning to in-home, online learning comes with many challenges. For these reasons, we have established a method that supports each student’s performance to date while also allowing opportunities to advance throughout the fourth marking period (Q4).
High School (9-12) Course Grading
Grades will be calculated using the normal percentage based system that has been used in previous quarters. The following outlines how a Q4 grade could affect the final average grade in high school courses.
- If the Q4 grade improves a student’s final grade, then the final grade will be calculated based on the average of all 4 marking periods.
- If the Q4 grade is passing, but when factored in with the Q1, Q2 and Q3 grades the final calculated grade is lower than the average of Q1, Q2 & Q3 only, then the average grade from the first 3 marking periods (Q1 + Q2 + Q3) will be the student’s final grade for the year.
- If a student demonstrates no effort or engagement which earns a failing grade during Q4, then the failing grade would be calculated into the final grade
Middle School (6-8) Grading
The fourth quarter (Q4) grade reported on middle school students’ report cards will reflect completion of work. Middle school students will receive either “Satisfactory (S)” or “Not Satisfactory (N)” as the grade.
- “Satisfactory” will be assigned to any student who earns 60% or higher in the fourth quarter. An “S” grade will appear on report cards for Q4.
- “Not Satisfactory” will be assigned to any student who earns 59% or lower in the fourth quarter. A “N” grade will appear on the report card for Q4.
- No effort, communication or engagement with the school/teachers during Q4, could impact a students promotion to the next grade level.
- Eighth Grade Final Exams, if given, will not be a separate calculation. Teachers may give a cumulative test within Q4.
- Final grades will include Q4 percentages and be calculated as such: (Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4)/4
- Middle School, students who are taking high school level courses (Spanish I & II, Algebra I & II, Geometry & Studio Arts) should refer to the High School (9-12) Course Grading on the previous page.
Elementary School (1-5) Grading
The fourth quarter (Q4) grade reported on elementary students’ report cards will reflect completion of work. Elementary students will receive either “Satisfactory (S)” or “Not Satisfactory (N)” as their subject grade.
- “Satisfactory” will be assigned to any student who receives 61% or higher in the fourth quarter. An “S” grade will appear on report cards and calculate as 100% for Q4.
- “Not Satisfactory” will be assigned to any student who receives 60% or lower in the fourth quarter. An “N” grade will appear on report cards and calculate as 60% for Q4.
- At Hydetown Elementary, students will receive a W (working) or a NY (not yet) for standards addressed during the 4th quarter. Pacing will not be listed on the 4th quarter report card.
ECLC (K4 & K5) Grading
ECLC students receive marking indicators based on rubrics as opposed to letter grades. For the second semester, the reporting on the report card will reflect completion of work. The report card will be marked with a “S” for satisfactorily completed and a “N” for not completed. “S” will indicate that the student satisfactorily completed work assigned during the second semester. “N” will indicate work was not completed during the second semester.