On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 new standards for the National School Breakfast and Lunch Programs were introduced by the USDA as part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.
The Nutrition Group, your child’s cafeteria provider, has always strived to provide nutritious meals to your student. We are pleased to reassure you that your child’s food service program already reflects many of the nutrtion principles mandated in the new regulations.
You are probably wondering how these new standards will change your child’s school lunches.
Some of the changes you will see include:
- Larger portions of fruits and vegetables
- Students will be REQUIRED to take a fruit or vegetable with their reimbursable lunch. (In the past, your student could decline both the fruit and vegetable component of their meal if they wished)
- Whole grain food choices will be increased
- Only fat-free and low-fat milk choices will be offered
- Calories will be limited based on age levels
- The amounts of saturated fat, trans fat and sodium will be limited
We are certain you will agree these are all positive changes to you child’s lunch program. Please feel free to contact your school’s food service director if you have questions or for more information.
The Nutrition Group